Please note: As of July 2022 we have shifted our main updates to the News section of our website for Outbreak or Pandemic related facility updates.
Staff – Please visit iTacit and review the Pandemic Supplementary document for information specific to your work.
Family, Friends and Community Members – Please ensure you visit our News page for Outbreak or Pandemic related facility information, or click these links for the specific topic you’re interested in:
Designated Caregiver Visits
Indoor / Outdoor Visits
Offsite Trips / Visits
Deliveries of Items to Residents
News related to emerging issues, outbreak-related information (if applicable), and more
In early March 2020, we received confirmation of the first presumptive case of COVID-19 (Novel Coronavirus) in Nova Scotia. In response to this development and to ensure the safety of our clients, staff and community, our Pandemic Outbreak Management Team made the decision to:
• Close our facility to all visitors until further notice, as per provincial directives. As things have evolved, we have posted information here regarding Indoor Visits, Designated Caregiver Visits, etc. Please see the list of big blue buttons to the top/left (depending on your browser) for up-to-date information on these options.
We have also put a process in place to allow you to visit your loved one in special compassionate circumstances (ex. should a resident be palliative during this time). You can contact us to discuss this in more detail:
Contact the Registered Nurse Building Designate or Neighbourhood Manager by calling 902-465-6020
• Close the Adult Day Program at Ocean View until further notice.
• Cancel all large gatherings/activities that do not adhere to current Public Health guidelines, including those involving those coming from outside the facility.
• Cancel all upcoming events of our Baker Drive Community Hub.
During this challenging time, we know you are concerned for your loved ones here at Ocean View. We know it’s difficult to be unable to visit as often as usual to see all of the measures we have put in place to keep them safe.
We want you to know that our response at Ocean View is constantly evolving based on all emerging advice, and that we have implemented many practices, including:
• We have enhanced our cleaning and infection control practices, including more frequent cleaning of high-touch surfaces.
• Staff are being screened daily when they arrive for symptoms related to COVID-19.
• Staff are wearing masks in our facility throughout their shift.
• We are assessing residents daily for symptoms, and testing residents with new symptoms for COVID-19.
• We have implemented physical distancing wherever possible.
• We continue to order and receive supplies from traditional and creative sources, including PPE (masks, gloves, etc.), to make sure our staff and residents have what they need.
• We are drawing on our robust pandemic plan and our internal pandemic supplementary document; information from Public Health; and advice from Nova Scotia’s Chief Medical Officer as we react to the unfolding situation.
• We are continuing to support our staff with the information, education, and supplies needed to help prevent spread of COVID-19, including infection control practices.
We truly appreciate your patience and understanding as we all work to lessen the risks and impacts of this pandemic on our clients, staff and community. The situation is rapidly evolving and we will update you as the situation evolves. For news about emerging issues and outbreak-related information, along with other Ocean View news, click HERE.
How you can help:
• Keep up to date on emerging Public Health guidelines and advice, as well as our facility-specific practices.
• If you have symptoms of COVID-19 (fever, cough, etc.), stay home and get tested!
• Prevent spread of COVID-19 in the community at large by washing hands frequently; avoiding touching your face; coughing/sneezing into your elbow or a tissue; and following all other advice shared by Public Health.
• If your contact information has changed, please ensure we have the up to date information by calling our reception team at Ocean View (902-465-6020 ext. 0)
We know our residents miss you. Here are some creative ways for you to reach them when visitation is not possible:
• We have devices available for residents to connect with you through Skype, Facetime, and Facebook Messenger. Reach out to our Recreation team (ext. 2150) or email@example.com so we can facilitate a time for you to chat with your loved one.
• Many family members have been sending photos, videos, and notes to firstname.lastname@example.org to be shared with their loved one – please keep it up! They put a smile on the faces of our residents as well as the staff who get to pass them along!
We know you have questions. Here are the best ways to reach us:
• Continue to visit our website at www.oceanv.ca/our-response-covid-19/ for updates related to ongoing restrictions as part of our pandemic response.
• For news about emerging issues and outbreak-related information (if applicable), along with other Ocean View news, click HERE.
• You may also reach out to us at any time with questions at email@example.com
• If you have specific questions about any of the topics listed to the right of your screen (deliveries of items for residents, visitation, etc.) please click the appropriate button on the top/left (depending on your browser) to find out more details on how to get in touch with the right member of our team!
• If you have a specific questions about a resident’s care, you can also continue to call us. We suggest calling in the morning. Reach us by phone by calling 902-465-6020 and choosing option “4” for Long Term Care. You can then choose the option for your loved one’s neighbourhood (Seaside – 4 / Bayside – 5 / Shoreside – 6 / Harbourside – 7 /
Islandview – 8 / Skyview – 9)
Still have questions/concerns about COVID-19? There has been plenty of false information being shared. For further reliable information on COVID-19 visit www.novascotia.ca/coronavirus